Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My First Blog

Seems like every day I learn something new about Revit and it seems like this knowledge is going to waste if I don't share it with someone. My wife doesn't like to hear about it so I plan to share my finding on the 'cloud.' I was very hesitant to start using Revit for the simple fact that it is a WINDOWS ONLY program and owned by AUTODESK. I don't like either of those two companies, but I have to say, I'm quite pleased with Revit. It is a very intuitive program that, for the most part, is easy to learn if you erase all those preconceived notions of AutoCad (that bulky slow app that you're used to) out of your brain forever. I once found a post that called out the four stages of a Revit user that went something like this: You are
1) Excited about Revit and ready to learn more
2) Getting into more detail and finding what it is capable of
3) Getting frustrated about those few things you just can't figure out
4) Confident and proficient with Revit and it just makes sense

The learning curve for Revit is very fast especially once the user gets a little more comfortable with the basics of the user interface. I will try to take this blog from a begginers look at how to get started and what to know to make your transition to Revit much easier. Pointing out the essential steps to avoiding issues later on in a project. I will also be including information that should be able to help any Revit user no matter what your experience level. And yes, I will discuss how to utilize AutoCad files with Revit. 

Switching to Revit does not mean you need to cut out AutoCad. I will help describe a smooth transition to Revit and try and provide examples to answers even I can't find on the web. Sometimes it is easiest to reverse engineer what someone else has done, so sometime in the not so distant future I will be providing two completed projects; a single family and a multi-family project. I will do my best to get a single family project ready sometime this fall for the public. Of course I have the get approval from bosses and clients, otherwise I will be putting together a little project from scratch to post here. This should be helpful to show how to organize drawing files, how to detail a project, and how to create schedules. 

My projects are by no means perfect as I am always learning a better faster way to do something, or, for shear sake of time I cut corners in my family creating, but it should show you what you can do with it.

I realize there are a lot of blogs out there on the web, so if you found mine and you find it useful, please let me know.

No comments: